As you prepare for your Global Health experience, make a list of your expectations and goals. Do you speak any other languages? Do you need a place where they speak English? Are you looking specifically for a primary care/district hospital?
About this list
This is a partial list of organizations that have programs in various areas of the world. The University of Arizona College of Medicine – Tucson does not maintain a direct relationship with any of these organizations or programs, although faculty members are familiar with most of them.
We also list a number of medical schools with links to sites. Some are programs within that medical school and you will have to contact that school for more details.
When known, general information about the health care services offered is included below. Website addresses are also listed. Check program websites for more details.
About religiously affiliated sites
While many of the programs are affiliated with religious organizations, some are less strict than others about your beliefs. Don't eliminate them from your search just because they have mission in their titles.
Other places to find a site
This is not the only way to secure a site. The best starting point for UAz CoM students is our password protected Rotations Abroad (see link at left). Second best is this list.
Finally, if you do not find here what you want, you can search on your own. The most important factor in selection of any site is how well it meets the stated goals of the Externship (preclinical) or Preceptorship (clinical years).
Organizations and programs
Accordia: (Africa - Malawi and Uganda)
- Probably best for PreClinical and Public Health - research oriented.
- Infectious Diseases Institute, Uganda
- The Institute for Child Wellness in Agrica, Malawi
African Inland Mission (AIM) Medical Missions: (Africa - Chad, Central African Republic, South Sudan, Democratic Repubilc of the Congo, Uganda, Rwanda, Kenya, Tanzania, Angola, Namibia, Mozambique, Lesotho, Madagascar)
- 4th-year medical students and public health students.
- Medical Ministry
ALDEA (formerly Behrhorst Partners for Development): (Guatemala)
- Possible PreClinical and Public Health opportunities. Contact them directly.
- Family Planning, Nurtrion Education, Water and Sanitation
- In 2015, name changed to ALDEA - Advanced Local Development thought Empowerment and Action
American Medical Women's Association (AMWA): (Nepal, Uganda, Haiti, Amazon River)
- Must be a member of the AMWA.
- American Women's Hospitals Service supported clinics
- Overseas assistance grants
- Global Health Resident program - http://www.amwa-doc.org/residents/global-health/
Amigos de los Americos: (South America - Colombia)
- Public Health projects; contact about volunteering in medical clinic
- Possible PreClinical projects with Spanish immersion
- College Program focused on health promotion and disease prevention
AMOS Community-Based Primary Health Care: (Central America - Nicaragua)
- Pre-Clinical Medical students, Public Health students, and Clinical students welcome
ASAPROSAR: Salvadoran Assoication for Rural Health (Central America - El Salvador)
- Booklet about programs - pdf
- Contact about specific programs - preclinical and clinical students, public health students
Association of Baptists for World Evangelism: (Africa - Togo, The Gambia; Asia - Bangladesh, Southeast Asia)
- Medical Mission
Cameroon Baptist Convention Health Service: (Africa - Cameroon)
- Clinical Medical Students, Residents and Volunteers.
- Choice of 6 hospitals and many health clinics
Child Family Health International (CFHI): (South America - Argentina, Bolivia, Ecuador; Africa - Ghana, South Africa, Uganda, Tanzania; Asia - India; North America - Mexico, Pacific - Philippines)
- A variety of programs. Email CFHI to get details.
- Programs for preclinical and clinical medical, residents and public health students
- Check deadlines - 4 per year
- Scholarships available
Christian Health Association of Kenya (CHAK): (Kenya)
- CHAK training institutions for medical students
Christian Medical And Dental Associations (CMDA): (multiple sites)
- Missions Team trips with the Christian Medical & Dental Association
- Global Health Outreach (GHO) - short term msisions for medical students
Christian Medical Fellowship (CMF): (multiple sites)
- Medical Electives - check out their organization database
CIDRZ (Center for Infectious Disease Research in Zambia): (Zambia) (website responding very slow 1/17/17)
- PreClinical, Clinical and Public Health Opportunities
The Cinterandes Foundation: (Ecuador)
- Opportunities for Foreign Students:
- Mobile Surgery, Health Centers, Integral Healthcare Programs, Family Health, River Health.
- Accepts Clinical Medical students (contact them about preclnical and public health)
Comprehensive Rural Health Project: (Jamkhed, India)
- Accepts Preclinical and Clinical Medical Students and Public Health Students.
- Check out Approach tab for Mobile Health Team and Hospital and Training Center
Curamericas Global, Inc: (Latin America)
- Accepts Clinical Medical students and Public Health students
Doctors for Global Health: (multiple sites)
- Accepts preclinical and clinical medical students, and residents
EMMS International: (Malawi, India, Nepal)
- Opportunities for medical and other health-related students.
Emmanuel Hospital Association: (India)
- EHA Member hospitals:http://www.ehausa.org/hospitals.html
Friends Without a Border: (Cambodia, Laos)
- Angkor Hospital for Children
- Lao Friends Hospital for Children (LRHC)
- Preclinical and clinical medical students, residents, and non-medical volunteers
- Preclinical and Clinical medical students, and MD-MPH
- Global Health Research
HCJB Global: Now called Reach Beyond (multiple sites)
Health Volunteers Overseas (HVO): (multiple sites)
- Mostly for residents and professionals but contact if you have an interest to see if an opening.
Highlands Foundation: (Papua New Guinea)
- Opportunities for clinical medical students
Hillside Healthcare International: (Belize)
- Some opportunities for clinical medical students and residents but best for 2nd year students
- Starting a new Public Health Field Study Program
Hopital Albert Schweitzer: (Haiti)
- Not clear on website about whether they take preclinical or clinical students.
Institute for Latin American Concern (ILAC): (Dominican Republic)
- Access Programs on menu for specific sites and dates
- There are options for clinical and preclinical students and for other than primary care.
InterServe USA: (Nepal, Bangladesh, other southeast Asian countries)
- Interdenominational fellowship of Christian serving in East Asia. Clinical and non-clinical students.
- Short-term service: supervised, seven week, clinical electives
- Tracks: Serice and Experience: Overseas Medical Elective Program
InterHealth South America: (Ecuador)
- Clinical work and Medical Spanish
- Specific programs for PreClinical studens is in June or July each year - see website for specific dates
International Health Care Volunteers: (multiple sites)
- Short term medical relief projects
- Check individual projects listed and contacts to see if they will take clinical students.
Kids Worldwide: (Ghana)
- Work in village clinics. AMURT Village Project.
- Other non-clinical projects also available
Lady Willingdon Hospital: (Manali, India)
- Medical Electives - Provides general information about elective.
- You are there as an observer only.
Machame Hospital: (Tanzania)
- Foreign Student Electives
- Due to language and cultural differences the experiencemay be observational in nature.
- List of Missions with opportunites for Preclinical and Clinical medical students
Mission Hospitals list - (Africa, Asia, latina America, South Pacific)
- Provided by World Medical Mission
- You don't need to go through WMM to apply to these hospitals
Monteverde Institute: (Costa Rica)
- Opportunities for PreClnical medical students and Public Health students
Northwest Medical Team: (multiple sites)
- A Christian global health organization.
- Team based - medical students, interns and residents.
Operation Crossroads Africa: (Africa)
- Africa Program: Application deadline is Feb 1 : 6 weeks of work and 1 week of travel
- Opportunites for PreClinical and Clinical medical students and Public Health students
Partners in Health: (multiple sites)
- Volunteer opportunities but website does not speifically offer any for students. Contact to find out.
Pro-Health International (PHI): (Malawi, Niger, Burundi)
- Upcoming Missions and "Apply Online" Contact form online.
Project HOPE: (multiple sites)
- Delivers essential medicines and supplies, health expertise and medical training to respond to disaster, prevent disease, promote wellness and save lives around the globe.
- Volunteer for specific projects
Project Medishare: (Haiti)
- Volunteer in Haiti - Opportunities for medical and public health students
Projects Abroad: (multiple sites)
- Medical Electives Abroad
- Accepts PreClinical, Clinical, and Nursing students.
Quito Clinical Rotations through Ohio University College of Medicine: (Ecuador)
- Program for 3rd and 4th year medical students
- Check website for specific dates
Serving in Mission (SIM): (USA, multiple sites)
- Christian organization - looking for volunteers. Contact about specific areas of service.
- Elective opportunities for medical and nursing students and residents
Students for International Mission Service (SIMS): (multiple sites)
- Look under "Got a Week?" for 1-2 week trips and "Got a Month?" for Mission Elective
- Associated with Loma Linda Univeristy.
- Clinical Medical Students and Residents
Terma Foundation: (Tibet)
- Health Education and Primary Care Delivery
- Not clear what level of students they will take
- They also have programs for public health and preclinical students
USAID Global Health Fellows Program II (2 year commitment) for Residents and Professionals
- Work in a variety of global health techinicalareas ranging from maternal and chld health to nutriton to HIV/AIDS
- Work full time for 2 years - Fellowships available - Eligibility requirements
- Also available is an internship program with USAID - application deadline in December
Village Volunteers: (Kenya, Ghana, India, Nepal, and Belize)
Opportunities for Preclinical and Clinical medical students and Public Health students
Volunteer in Africa: (Ghana)
- Many voluteer opportunities. Check website for details.
- Preclinical and Clinical Medical Students, Public Health students and other volunteers
WONCA - Global Family Doctor Mongolia: (Russian Federation, Uganda, Lebanon, China)
- Informational website - doesn't have specific clinics listed
- WONCA Groups -> Young Doctors Movements
- Places Christian physicians,dentists and other medical professionals
- Resident Assistance Fund - assist talented and dedicated medical residents from the United States and Canada
- Post-Residency Program - 2-year program immediately folloing residency or fellowship
Other Databases to check
American Association of Family Physicians: Serivce Opportunities for Students and Residents
- Apply in your 2nd or 3rd year of medical school - Application deadline is early December
- Open to preclinical and clinical students, public health students
United States and Canadian medical schools with Global Health programs and electives
Brown Medical International Health Electives - for 2nd year residents
Dartmouth Blog (has reviews from students of specific sites)
Dartmouth World Health Volunteer Opportunties - list of organizations and programs
Vanderbilt International Health electives - Global Research
Centers for Disease Control - http://www.cdc.gov/
Christian Connections for International Health (CCIH): http://www.ccih.org/
Consortium of Universities for Global Health (CUGH) > Resources
- Does not have a list of sites but has many resources to help you prepare
US State Department ; http://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en.html
Alerts and Warnings - http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/alertswarnings.html
Stephens, ST. How to Plan, Prepare for, and Maximize an International Health Rotation. AAFP Family Medicine Residents and Students National Conference; Jule 31, 2010.
MTS Travel - Now part of Raptim Travel
"Global Leaders in Humanitarian, Missionary & Religious Airfairs" 800-777-9232
Student and Teacher flight discounts, including student travel card. 800-781-4040